Happy Paddy's Day everybody! Hope you've had a great day, I've certainly enjoyed my free day off work courtesy of St P, and have been doing a bit of sewing. But more of that later, as I thought today would be a good day to show you my new green dress.
I mentioned this before in this post, and here is the inspiration photo. I found this on Pinterest and the description said it's a Christian Dior dress from 1947-48.
What really caught my eye was the princess seams, and the neckline. The princess seams come down from the shoulder instead of the armhole, and it looks like the neckline curves out in a slight V, instead of meeting at the middle of the front neck. The princess seams were easy to draft from my block, and I made the same princess seams on the back so they match up at the shoulder seam.
The neckline was a bit more tricky, as it was difficult to know just how much to take off the front neckline. Three toiles later (!!) I was finally happy with it. If you feel like trying this yourself, I shorted the neckline by 1 cm at the centre front (so that's 2 cms overall). Then I marked where I wanted the top button on the centre front, and drew a diagonal line between the two points. The collar was drafted using the partial roll collar from the Craftsy class "Pattern Making Design: Collars and Closures".
The skirt is from good old Simplicity 2444, and I put a zip and pockets in the side seam using my own tutorial here.
The sleeves are just short sleeves with a cuff, and I added a safari tab too. Turning the safari tab out the right way turned out to be tricky! But my metal seem gauge came to the rescue, as I was able to use it to push the seem out as I pressed it.
My fabric and buttons are from Sew N Sew in Belfast. I was in the shop one day last June, and spotted a pile of bolts of fabric on the floor. There was a cardboard sign on the top saying it was £3.50 per metre. I eyeballed this green, and also a lovely rich deep purple. I can't remember exactly what the fabric is, the sign said a poly-something but I've forgotten - I was too excited at the loveliness and the price. In fact, I actually asked if it really was only £3.50 a metre, and asked for two metres of each before anybody could change their minds!
The buttons are also from Sew N Sew, and I can't remember how much they were, but maybe about 25p each.
I love how this dress turned out, but my favourite thing is the colour. I think I need more green dresses in my life, and therefore more green fabric...
If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I'm currently working on a jacket. It's Butterick 4610, and I mentioned it in this post. But I have plenty to say about it, so it can wait till next time.
Have a great weekend,